POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov User Database : Re: English data protection law Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: English data protection law
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 9 Sep 1999 21:12:54
Message: <37d85b16@news.povray.org>
In article <37D8473F.882D28D2@Totalise.co.uk> , GRedway
<GRe### [at] Totalisecouk>  wrote:

> As far as I can gather the privacy laws only apply to the country in
> which the website is held and any person who uses this site assumes the
> law of the nation applying them.
> The Data Protection Act, 1989 (England) as it stands requires the
> knowledge of the person whose data is being held on computer, this could
> be included in a small disclamier, as long as the user knows his/her
> data is being held on compueter it is not a problem (this could be
> included in a disclaimer - the user hitting the 'submit' button
> acknowledges the disclamier and agrees to it.
>
>  Graham Redway

I am referring to "Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament". For
example available at
<http://www2.echo.lu/legal/en/dataprot/directiv/directiv.html>. It is
binding for all member states of the European Union. Some states have even
stricter laws. I am not a lawyer and cannot explain the exact effects of
this directive regarding the idea to setup a public database.  If the
database would break the laws of a state, I do not know the person owning
the database can be prosecuted one he/she enters that state!?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde